Thursday, June 29, 2006

A Fun Night in Moseley.


Last night I started to take advantage of my evenings now being free of teaching, and went along to the Comedy Kav in Moseley for the "Tea Tray and Spoon" new act competition.

Earlier in the day, I'd phoned my friend the Tony Blair impersonator, Tom Skehan, and he said he would come along. And come along he did. And who else came in to join us at the back to watch at a safe distance? Andy White! I think we enjoyed the show. We certainly enjoyed discussing the show... as much as was possible without talking loudly and disturbing other nearby punters.

I actually thought that I'd make notes on the acts for a full review of the show in this blog. I gave up that idea quite soon. I didn't have enough elbow room for making notes in my little notebook... PLUS the acts didn't really deserve that level of attention.

I enjoy watching new acts - in general, I mean - I DON'T enjoy watching ALL new acts. It's not that new acts are poor. I don't mind that. That's to be expected. What turns me off is when new acts are BORING... Tired wordplay and cliched observations on subjects you've heard comedians talk about too many times already.

The winner last night was Jo Coffey. Second was Sean Moran. Third was Johnny Sorrow. I can't say that I agreed with the result. I think that Sean should have got it. But Tom talk me earlier that a woman would stand a good chance of winning, as other women would vote for her.

As usual, James Cook did a great job as MC. I hadn't seen him work for a while and it was pleasing to see him in such good form. He kept the enjoyment going though the evening with bits and pieces of good new material and quiz questions to the audience.

Eleven o'clock came and we wound our way home. I need more nights like that - out seeing what other comedians are doing - and shall try to show my face at more local-ish comedy clubs over the next few months.

p.s. I took the above photo with my new mobile phone. It was the best of the twelve I snapped during the show. It actually shows Johnny Sorrow, but you can't tell that from the picture.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home